Friday, November 14, 2008

Game 8: Washington DC 95 Utah 87 + DILEMMA

Remember that Michael Jordan played for the Wizards? That was the only time I ever saw Jordan in person. His final game at the Delta Center. He scored only 11 points and the Jazz won by 40. But hey, I can tell my grandkids that I saw Jordan play.

So the Wizards were 0-5 before this game, but leave it up to the Jazz to blow this one on the road in the final 2 minutes. Nuff said about the Jazz on the road.

DILEMMA

Back in July, my friend Rhett had a great idea. We both knew that Utah and BYU had very good teams and very winnable schedules, and we decided after Beck-to-Harline in 2006, that we wanted to be at the next BYU vs. Utah football game.

He researched every angle to purchase tickets to the game. Single game tickets were expensive and not guaranteed. The BYU Cougar Club only got tickets for its biggest sponsors, and we don't have that kind of cash. Finally, he purchased 4 Utah season tickets in the north end zone at only $87 bucks for the entire season. We decided that the BYU game on November 22 was worth the money spent before the season ever started.

Well, Utah took care of business at Michigan in the season opener, and BYU looked really, really good until the TCU game. Right now tickets are going for the highly anticipated matchup on November 22 for an average of $250 dollars on craigslist.

I've been in this mental dilemma since the TCU game about whether it's worth it to just sell the tickets and triple my initial investment. After watching Utah defeat TCU, I'm convinced that if the two teams played right now, Utah has a 70% chance of winning. Before BYU lost to TCU, I would have said that BYU had the 70% chance of winning.

If BYU wins at Air Force next week, I'd say that Utah would only have about a 60% chance of winning the week of the BYU vs. Utah game.

Anyway, if I sell my tickets and BYU loses, I'd feel good 'cause I'd make some money. But the decision to buy the season tickets this summer was not about the money. It was about watching BYU win at Rice Eccles Stadium. If I sell the tickets and BYU wins, it will nullify the decision I made 5 months ago.

If I go the game and BYU loses, I'll have to sit there and watch Utah fans celebrate not only their favorite victory of the season (the one that usually redeems Kyle Whittingham and his typical mediocrity), but I'll get to watch Utah bust the BCS for their second time (2004 and 2008), where BYU will have fallen short of busting the BCS for the second time (2001 and 2008). I can't imagine being present to witness this nightmare.

But.................... If I go to the game and BYU wins and ruins the Utes chance to get into the BCS, I can stand there in my blue shirt and hold up my fingers to let them know who is No. 1 (I can't tell you which finger I might choose for this expression of glee)!

I don't think I am emotionally ready to handle a Cougar loss to the in-state rival, but if Max Hall and company to generate a win, I'm totally there, which was the plan the entire time.

I guess I may have to wait to make my decision to see what happens at Air Force. It's nerve racking to be a Cougar alumnus.

11 comments:

Rhett said...

I like the decision matrix.

I saw Jordan sink a half court shot at the delta center at the end of the first half. It was a JUMP SHOT. Not a heave. Most amazing basketball thing I've ever seen.

Annie said...

I seem to remember someone criticizing a certain group of fans for not showing up to a game. So, what kind of fan are you to sell your tickets if there's a chance your team might lose? Doesn't that mean you are on the bandwagon and not a true fan?

joN. said...

i'll field this one, annie.

you're absolutely right to call out joe on his zeal. but there is a difference between calling oneself a fan and being above-and-beyond the call of duty. fans go to every HOME game. going above-and-beyond means going to at least one AWAY game, which is what joe is considering. the group joe was criticizing were people who didn't attend utah home games.

it's good to see your spirit is still in it, though. i think we were worried that you've put the rivalry behind you, but soon you'll be just like us!

Rhett said...

Actually Annie, I agree with you. I think if Joe sells his ticket he is selling out.

Not as bad as ute fans, but still....

Steph said...

Wow, I love the decision matrix. I think you should just go to the game. Be a true fan!

Annie said...

Jon, my response had nothing to do with rivalry spirit. It was all about proclaiming to be a fan and then not going to the biggest game of the year because of fear that your team might lose. Especially when that away game is actually in the city where you currently reside. I still renounce all participation in the rivalry.

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

Tough decision buddy. Extra cash is always nice, but could you handle the regret of not going if BYU wins?!? You should just go

Becky said...

Joe. SELL THE TICKETS! Utah just destroyed SDSU 63-14. BYU barely eeked by Air Force. Buy something nice for yourself, either way BYU does not go BCS their season will end anti-climactically at either the Vegas Bowl or the Motor City Bowl. Either way you won't regret it too much. I think Utah is too hungry for a win against BYU for it to be other-wise.

Johnny 5 said...

That last one was John by the way.

Average Joe said...

So, I watched the first half of the BYU vs Air Force game. The Cougars were down 14-10 at the half, so I immediately went on Craiglist to post the tickets. I went home to shower and BYU scored 3 touchdowns in the third quarter.

So, I decided to keep my tickets and I am going to the Game on Saturday!!!! IT'S ON!

boneck family said...

get back to craigslist and sell those sons of bees! look, you tend to get super animated when you team looses or wins which isnt a bad thing except your going to be surrounded by a stadium of Ute fans. so: byu wins=you spaz out and get beaten up by some utes and wake up in the ER. byu looses= you get blood red pissed and punch some ute in mid cheer and then you wake up in the ER cause a stadium of ute fans kicked your teeth in. or someone notices your one of two guys wearing blue in the stadium and kick your bottom after the utes win and you wake up in the trunk of a strangers car. either scenerio you loose BIG. times are tough, well the tickets and make a profit.
theres my 2 cents.
love
-Clint