Monday, September 15, 2008

The Geek vs. The Jock

So, this is probably my greatest story as an intern for the Baltimore Ravens in 2003.   

During the season, I developed a high school-style crush on one of the Ravens cheerleaders. She was one of the top-3 most gorgeous women I have ever met in person, and I'm not saying that because she was a cheerleader. She was really nice and super, MEGA hot.   

I would occasionally see her at events. I tried my best to get to know her the best I could without looking like too much of a doofus.   

One time, my roommate Jeff (also an intern) and I went to a club on a weeknight. She happened to be there. I said hey, and we talked for a little bit. I actually got the guts to ask her for her phone number, which she suprisingly gave to me.   

On the final game of the season (a home playoff loss in the wild-card round to the Tennesse Titans), some of the players and some of the staff went to the same club after the game to blow off a season full of stress.   

After the party, we ended up at my boss's house to chill a little longer. This cheerleader happened to be there. Safety Will Demps, a starter, also happened to be there. He was a ladies' man who happened to have scored a touchdown off an interception earlier in the game.   

He had been drinking and was trying to get this cheerleader to go home with him with all his "C'mon baby, I'll take you home" moves.   

She seemed a little hesitant, and I dunno if she didn't want to hook up with him or was nervous about him driving. Anyway, I offered her a ride home, and she chose me.   

I guess I seemed like the safe choice. Obviously nothing happened, but hey, at least for a day, this geek can say that he trumped the jock.   

Five years later, I happened to stumble across this article on NBC sports.com.

1 comment:

Aynna banahna said...

Wow. That's pretty hilarious actually. What a stupid guy