Monday, August 17, 2009

Our Next Movie: 30 Cities, 30 Nights, No hotels

Hooray! Today is my first official day of unemployment. I was laid off from Z bank on Friday, and I have some severance to figure out what to do with my life next.

I was told I was being laid off just after my 30th birthday, and I've been in SLC for five years now.

Jon and I had some recent success with our first movie experience "Dunkball" which has been well documented on this blog.

I have recently looked into going back to school to pursue a master's degree. I found a degree in Sports Administration from Georgia State, but failed to take the GRE in time to start this fall (terrible hind sight), but I was looking into buying a plane ticket out to Atlanta to check things out before I pack my car to spend the next 2-3 years of my life in Georgia.

Last week, Jet Blue airlines announced that you can fly unlimited from September 8 thru October 8 to anywhere they fly. I've already got trips planned to Atlanta and Los Angeles (for the SoCal Film Festival with Dunkball), and I have family in Seattle, Denver, and Phoenix that I never see, not too mention friends in New York and Baltimore. So why not?

Then a friend at work suggested that instead that I buy a pass, and try to hit 30 cities in 30 days and make an adventure full-length documentary about our travels! What a stupendous idea!

Right now, I am in the process of planning and budgeting, but with my new found time off, my severance pay, and a possible 401k cashout, I could easily fund this rendezvous. Maybe I can get a few of my movie making friends involved (four people, two cameras) and see if we can make this a reality. Here is a possible itinerary:

Sept 8: Salt Lake City
Sept 9: Denver
Sept 10: Chicago
Sept 11: New York (Patriot Day)
Sept 12: Boston
Sept 13: Baltimore (Ravens season opener vs. the Chiefs)
Sept 14: Los Angeles (SoCal Film Festival)
Sept 15: San Francisco
Sept 16: Portland
Sept 17: Seattle
Sept 18: Las Vegas
Sept 19: Phoenix
Sept 20: San Diego (Ravens at Chargers)
Sept 21: Charlotte
Sept 22: Atlanta
Sept 23: Jacksonville, FL
Sept 24: Orlando (Disney World)
Sept 25: New Orleans
Sept 26: Austin, TX
Sept 27: West Palm Beach, FL
Sept 28: Salt Lake City (Pearl Jam Concert)
Sept 29: Washington, DC (Muse concert)
Sept 30: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Oct 1: Nassau, Bahamas
Oct 2: Cancun, Mexico
Oct 3: Montego Bay, Jamaica
Oct 4: Aruba
Oct 5: San Jose, Costa Rica
Oct 6: Bogata, Columbia
Oct 7: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Oct 8: Barbados
Oct 9: Bermuda

Anyway, this is just a rough draft of a crazy itinerary. I figure, if people can watch a dude eating McDonalds for 30 days straight, then they can for sure watch 4 dudes travel the U.S. and Central America for 30 days. We would try to find historical sites, beaches, concerts, babes, sporting events, film festivals, etc.

Now, we just need to find some sponsors and make the bachelor, unemployed Amazing Race happen!

Hooray for severance!

5 comments:

Luanne Hardy said...

That's sounds like a really fun idea! Good luck and I can't wait to see if it works out.

ROXY MARJ said...

do you know that your roommate is reading Pride and Prejudice and ZOMBIES!!!??? I would be scared! :/

ROXY MARJ said...

WHOAH! Just read your post! DUDE! TAKE ME WITH YOU GUYS!!! SERIOUSLY! I AM MISSING NEW YORK SOOOOO MUCH! When exactly do you leave? Can I be your roadie? This could be like that tv show, 4 guys a pizza place and a girl...or something like that...think it over! :[)

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

Whoops...I deleted it. Here is what I wrote: I foresee some very very tired boys! Try not to get Aids on your journey's :-) Also, you have SLC on your list twice.