Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dunkball: The Movie -- It's Coming!

Last night, I had the chance to attend my first film festival. It was called the BANFF Film Festival and it featured a lot of extreme outdoor "sports." It’s a Canadian non-profit organization to endorse wild outdoor adventures.

I watched several short 10-15 minute movies on snowboarding, BMX biking, base jumping, rock climbing, and slick-roping. I even witnessed new sport called speed skiing which combines extreme downhill skiing while wearing a parachute so a person can now ski previously impossible slopes using the cushion of a small parachute. The adrenaline junkie dude that invented the sport recently died because it is still so untested and extremely, extremely dangerous.

With springtime just around the corner, my friends and I have a summer sport that we want to claim we invented to call dunkball where we get together and play outdoor hoops at the local elementary school and the 8 foot rims because we are unable to dunk a basketball on regulation 10 foot rims.

It sounds silly, but it is extremely fun and addicting and I’ve been doing it since I was about 14. We have played somewhat consistently for the past four summers and we are looking forward to playing our fifth season here in a few weeks.

We’ve also filmed quite a few of our dunkball experiences with our camcorder, and I’ve always wanted to make a movie featuring our experiences. There are already a few videos (not ours) posted on Youtube BUT I’d like to make the ultimate “mockumentary” to show how silly it is to watch a bunch of guys in their late 20s still enjoying this sport.

I recently discovered via this blog that there is a sports film festival coming up in Los Angeles on July 10th (my 30th birthday) that I could submit our video-graphied experiences of our summer exploits to. Now that I have a deadline, I cannot procrastinate this any longer.

Like UFOs, it is widely known that dunkball exists. We want to let people know that it’s okay to let the skeleton out of the closet and let millions know that it’s okay to enjoy dunking on non-regulation sized hoops. It’s just like an adult owning a pair of Heelys. Embrace it! So what if they laugh, they don’t know the fun they are missing out on!

6 comments:

Annie said...

There's actually an amateur outdoor film festival here in Salt Lake that used to take place in my back yard. It's called Epic Summer. I'm sure they'd love a mockumentary about Dunkball.

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

I would love to see this film!! You better start planning now who you want to play you when Hollywood buys it off you.

boneck family said...

get on that son! i think you should do it. ill help in anyway i can! lets get it on!

Average Joe said...

I'm currently working on the script and I am having a ton of writers block. I need to develop the character and create drama thru a treacherous villian to overcome.

Maybe it will just be super lame, like how Dunkball looks when a group of late twentiers play ball at an elementary school.

Johnny 5 said...

Hey Joe, I am all for the movie and will watch it for sure. Just one thought though. Don't you think dunking has become cliche' these days? Maybe you could make fun of that some how. I know most teen age boys who play basketball must dream of dunking still, but I can't help but think dunking has lost all of the luster it once had. Lets face it, the dunk contest lost all of its mojo after Vince Carter, and arguably since Dominique. So I am thinking a nice montage watching old junk footage is a must. Oh, and the main character definetly has to have a mustache and a yellow head band. But you decide what you want to do.

Johnny 5 said...

I meant dunk footage