Friday, February 13, 2009

One Date at a Time

My editor-in-chief Jon recently informed me that my blog has been getting a lot of hits lately. Not for anything spectacular that I have written of course, but for my Valentine’s Day blog from last year. Sadly, it wasn’t content, but just for a silly photo that he put in the blog that received a ton of hits this week thanks to the Lovers' Holiday. Talk about cliché!

But WE DID OUR BEST, BUT OUR BEST WASN’T GOOD ENOUGH. Sometimes you have to THROW AWAY YOUR GAME PLAN. Even in dating, sometimes it feels like I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A SLUMP. But then sometimes it feels like THE HOOP IS AS WIDE AS AN OCEAN. I mean, I recently went on a date expecting to KNOCK IT OUT OF THE PARK, but sometimes I realize the GOAL IS A MARATHON AND NOT A SPRINT.

I think I NEED TO TURN IT UP A NOTCH. I’ve been AT THE 20, and now I’m AT THE 30, and I definitely wanna get tackled before I'm AT THE 40. I’VE BEEN THROWING UP BRICKS. I gotta stop YO-YOing at the TOP OF THE KEY, and STEP UP TO THE PLATE. I CAN’T HOLD ANYTHING BACK. I feel like NOBODY BELIEVES IN US. I feel like I have TREMENDOUS UPSIDE. My BEST YEARS ARE AHEAD OF ME. Unlike Cougar football, I JUST NEED TO EXECUTE.

I know… DON'T QUIT, DON’T EVEN QUIT. WE PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. I’ve been living FROM DOWNTOWN for too long. I gotta BRING MY A-GAME. I usually give a girl a-THREE STRIKES AND YOU’RE OUT-policy. I feel that RULES ARE RULES and REFS DIDN’T COST US THE GAME. I mean, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Eventually a gap BIG ENOUGH TO DRIVE A MACK TRUCK through will open up, and all I’ll have to do is TAP, TAP, TAP IT IN. I mean, IT’S 90% MENTAL AND 50% PHYSICAL. I know that one day HE COULD. GO. ALL. THE. WAY. Why not? DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?

9 comments:

Steph said...

Loved it!

Rhett said...

Knock it out man. Just knock it out.

ericksonzone said...

I have to say that I don't usually read your commentaries on the games. Sorry about that, but this was awesome. Loved it! And I think we might have someone to set you up with. She's actually Ben Bues's cousin. I'll have to get her contact info for you. How tall are you Joe?

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

Just keep looking in the mirror everyday saying "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!" & you'll get there someday buddy :-)

ericksonzone said...

Nice Joe! That is very creative.

Good luck on the hunt...it will happen sooner than you think.

Jason

Kristi said...

Joe - I love you. And this is why. Well done my friend.

boneck family said...

wow so many euphemisms! i like (read in Borats voice). so maybe your hitting for the wrong team. just kidding, i just thought it would fit nicely here with your other onces.

dre said...

Rhett teases me that I don't actually read your blog because I don't speak boy. But surprising this one made me laugh! because it was a chick story with ALL THOSE sports quotes. Very nice!

Sorry for the late post.

Erin said...

Joe-you know, you should be working for the Ravens with mad writing skills like that! I enjoyed that post more than that tool who writes articles on the back page of Sports Illustrated.