Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My New Favorite Sports Movie: "The Hammer"

Here it is! The first ever movie review! I don’t think I have ever written a movie review for Average Joes Sports blog yet (Editors note: see here), but I guess there hasn’t been a good enough sports movie that has come out since I started this blog in July 2007.

My favorite sports movie of all time is “Rudy.” I liked “Hoosiers” and “The Natural,” but they were before my time -- hence not my favorites.

“The Hammer” stars Adam Carolla, who is best known for his former work on “The Man Show” on Comedy Central and his nationally syndicated radio he used to do with Dr. Drew on “Loveline.” Adam Carolla carries a stigma for crude humor, but I would call this movie a family film. The “R” rating is EXTREMELY deceiving because I could watch this with my nephews and nieces, which shows how wrong the MPAA was with this one.

The thing I like the most about this movie is the pacing. It isn’t a fast movie. It just chugs along nice and slow. Unlike most Hollywood blockbuster comedies, this one doesn’t need shock value or super crude humor in order to force laughs. The humor is subtle and sprinkled throughout the entire movie, so you don’t have to wait too long in between laughs and the laughs are surprisingly refreshing.

It’s just 90 minutes of Adam Carolla playing himself with his awesome sarcastic humor. It’s like a funny, but not-so-serious version of Rocky or every other boxing cliché movie we have all seen.

I’m sure the average person has never even heard of this movie, so go find it. I don’t know if your local Blockbuster would carry this movie, but for everyone’s benefit, I hope they do. Watch it on a date, with your friends or just by yourself. You’ll find yourself laughing out loud to all the little humor it provides.

"The Hammer": Rent it, watch it, BUY it, and share it.

4 comments:

Johnny 5 said...

Since I know you are a Ravens fan I am dissapointed that your blog has not had any thoughts on the NFL playoffs. Come on dude, College Football was over a month ago (at least in my mind)

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

I love hearing of new movies! Especially funny ones. I hope I can find it to watch!!

dre said...

Hey I couldn't comment on the last post for whatever reason. BUT I loved it! Urban giving back the trophy so the BCS will get their act in gear. Talk about a Ute fan wet dream!

newby said...

joe, need your thoughts on larry miller. how much longer does he have left? what happens to the jazz when he's finally gone?