Friday, October 31, 2008

GAME 1: Utah 98 Denver 94

I decided that since this will be my last season following sports (the NBA especially) I would try to watch every Jazz game and write my own synopsis after each game. We'll start with the season opener Wednesday night.   

Pregame: The Jazz decided to go lights out for the pre-game introductions for the first time ever. They even spent two million dollars upgrading their sound and light system to do so. It only took them 28 years to do this. The Utah Blaze, who pay Larry H. Miller to use his building, have been doing it since their innagural game back in 2006.   

But before the lights went out, let's hear the national anthem sung by platinum selling recording country artist Collin Ray. Wow, if this guy can make millions with his vocal talents, I need to get into country music after this season. His voice was marginally above average at best. I've heard better at Karaoke night minus the country twang. Arghhh, I have a firm belief that country music will be on a continuous loop down in hell.   

So, the lights go out and the music starts blaring pump up music. Everything's fine except for one thing: THE UTAH JAZZ STOLE MICHAEL JORDAN'S MUSIC FROM THE CHICAGO BULLS DYNASTY! What the hell! How unoriginal is that! Hey let's copy the Bulls. The team who kicked our butts for two years in the Finals. What a great idea! If I were a member of the marketing committee of the team, and I were in that planning meeting, as a Jazz fan, I would fight this with all my soul even if it cost me my job. I know that the Jazz always play music that is ten years behind the times, but to be this unoriginal to borrow the dynasty music from the 1990s Chicago Bulls is just infuriating! Maybe I should just quit my fanhood right now!   

(steam coming out of my ears)...........................................   

Ok. Now that I've calmed down to the point where my fingers stopped shaking, I can type again.   
Game Summary: Jazz were without my mancrush Deron Williams. Nuggets were without notorious wannabe homegrown Baltimore "gangsta" Carmelo Anthony who was suspended for a DUI arrest in the summer. UVSC (yes, Utah Valley State College in Orem, Utah) graduate Ronnie Price started at the point guard.   

The game went back and forth for pretty much the first half. Ronnie Brewer looks even better this year because he actually knocked down a few jumpers in this game. Andrei Kirilenko (AK47) played really well as the Jazz new sixth man off the bench. I like him in this role, especially because it looks like new starter C.J. Miles can't help himself from getting into foul trouble. KORVER ALERT: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer Kyle Korver got a haircut! I wonder which Utah bombshell talked him into that.   

Carlos Boozer dominated the game on the inside. He finished with his usual double-double with 25 points and 14 rebounds. I expect a good year out of him. He can opt out for more money this year, so he'll play well. Also, his family now lives with him in Utah.   

If you wanna see a very inspirational story, check this link to Carlos Boozer and his wife CeCe battle their baby boy's sickel cell disease. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=boozers&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos1 What amazing faith and determination!   

Only 81 more games to my fanhood funeral. See ya next time.

3 comments:

Rhett said...

I'd bet money that a year from now, you are up to your neck in BYU football, the nba pre-season, and the NFL.... so don't tell me you don't love sports!

Johnny 5 said...

Joe, Dr. John here. Blogs are funny because you get to hear the inner monologue people have about themselves. Rhett's comment should be seen as a challenge. If you think it's good to give up sports give it up. Just try to be moderate, you might never be a rockstar. I might never be the leading scientist in my field, but I hope to avoid mad cow disease. So just do what makes you happy and be realisitic about your expectations. Although if I were a betting man... let's just say Rhett might know you better than you know yourself on this one. Go ahead and prove me wrong though.

boneck family said...

the unfrozen caveman lawyer reference made me spit out my gum!
johns comment was super sweet too. about being the top scientist in his field! holy cow (mad cow)!