Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Quick Notes

Just a couple of random sports thoughts before tonight's pivotal Game 5 between the Utah Jazz and the Los Angeles Lakers.



1) Lebron James vs. Mommy: Lebron James is "The Man." He has been hyped since his junior year of high school basketball and has totally lived up to the hype. He was awesome as an 18-year old rookie. He carried a crappy team with a crappy coach to the Finals last year over a veteran Detroit team. And on Monday, after he was football tackled into the stand next to his mama (the day after Mother's Day), she immediately stood up and mixed it up with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. You can see it clear as day as Lebron yells at her to "Sit yo a$ down!" Only Lebron! My new hero.

2) NBA Ref Joey Crawford vs. The Spurs: Joey Crawford is "The Man." Twenty seconds ago, I would have said the dude is out of control after his scuffle and finger poking (way out of line) with San Antonio Spurs coach Greg Poppovich last night in New Orleans. This 20-year veteran ref was banned from the NBA for a year after taking it "too personal" with league MVP Tim Duncan. But he was re-instated, but I can't believe they have him reffing Spurs PLAYOFF games after what happened in the past. An idiot move by the league, but then I got to thinking... Joey Crawford is the only referee that won't put up with the antics of the "all-ugly" Spurs with their flopping and whining. Even he can't take it, so he goes out of his way to make their lives miserable because acting and soccer antics cannot be allowed in NBA basketball. So Joey Crawford, this one's one me! Down with the Spurs.

3) The Worst Franchise in the History of Professional Sports: The New York Knicks. Stephon Marbury wants to be a New York Knick again, suprise surprise. Marbury made $20 million last season after missing more than a month for his father's funeral. I think we should nominate an all "Play-When-I-Feel-Like-It" NBA team. My first team includes Stephon Marbury, Vince Carter, Tim Thomas, Zack Randolph and Jermaine O'Neal. Watch out Tim Thomas, Carmelo Anthony is gunning to take your spot next year.

4) Kobe vs. Jordan: I'm saving an entire article on "Why Kobe will never be MJ even though he really, really tries to be" after his bad back antics on Sunday. If there was ever an attempt of re-creating of the famous "flu game" when Jordan torched the Jazz for 38 while "suffering" from flu-like symptoms in 1997, then this was it. Kobe picked which possessions he used his "bad back" as an excuse for shooting 13-33 (including 1-10 from 3-point territory). But mad kudos to the Lakers for sending that game into OT.

5) Derek Fisher: If the Lakers win this series, the difference will be Derek Fisher. He is playing lights out. I am actually glad he asked out of his Jazz contract. I didn't want to spend $7 million a year for a backup point guard until 2010 to wear a Jazz uniform. Deron Wililams and Ronnie Brewer will never have flourished with him still in the lineup, and I'd rather have Korver's 3-point shooting over his. But TNT revealed that he still has to fly to New York every month or so for his daughter's cancer treatments. So, he asked out of Salt Lake to be closer to better medical facilities for his daugher, and then chose the Lakers (more minutes and his original team) because L.A. is closer to New York??????? Good riddance.

6) City of Boston: The more I read The Sports Guy on ESPN.com (my favorite sports writer), the more I come to dislike the city of Boston and their "rabid" fans. But only in Boston could the local newspaper (The Boston Herald) leak a faulty story about videotaping the 2001 Rams walk-through regarding Spygate the week of the Superbowl. Wasn't The Boston Herald working on the 19-0 book??? Serves you right that the Patriots lost to the Giants. Had that leak come from the The New York Times or New York Daily News, that's in"credible" (pun intended) journalism to get into the head of the Patriots. But for that distraction to come from your hometown newspaper? Wow. Really, it couldn't have waited three more days until after the Superbowl so that ESPN could torture us with three straight months of Matt Walsh stories?

7) Tom Brady vs. ESPN: Mad props to New England QB Tom Brady for calling out ESPN, saying that ESPN is like MTV without the music videos, ESPN has become "Sportscenter" without highlights. I know ESPN has room to fill, but I don't need 14 different "experts" (aka people on the Disney payroll) telling me about the same story during "Sportscenter." I'd rather watch more in-depth baseball highlights, and that's saying a lot considering how much I hate baseball now. I get it, Barry Bonds might go on trial in about 6-12 months, but I don't need 10 straight minutes, and three different legal analysts explaining it to me like I am still in the second grade. ESPN's sports monopoly needs a competitor NOW because I am getting the creepy late 90's feeling of Microsoft lately.

8) BYU Football: A high-five to Bronco Mendenhall and the Cougs for suspending senior RB Manase Tonga for the entire year for being academically ineligible. Luckily for Cougar fans, BYU is incredibly deep at running back (with Harvey Unga, Fui Vakapuna, and J.J. Di Luigi), but I do believe that Bronco would have made the call to suspend him even if it had been starting QB Max Hall. That's how strongly I feel about Bronco and the direction the Cougar program is heading.

9) Utah Blaze: In the third year of their Arena Football League, the Blaze started 0-9 and fired and cut every coach and player in site, but they have finally put together two straight wins, and hilariously enough, are still mathmatically in the playoff hunt. Note to AFL: If you want people to take your league seriously, do not allow this to happen! But I can get you a sweet hookup on tix (75 cents) for the final two games if you are interested...

10) I don't have a tenth rant, I just thought a list of 1-9 wouldn't work.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest... Go Jazz!

5 comments:

Rhett said...

Freakin awesome post! You should write like 2-3 of these a week. Seriously.

Good thought about Crawford. I hadn't thought of it that way.

I heard yesterday that starting in June, Sportscenter will be live all morning instead of those repeats. Not sure what that means but ya.

You say that about Bronco because you have forgotten the Vegas bowl from last year. We should NOT have won that game.

$.75 for blaze tickets... I love it!

Steph said...

Funny how Kobe was on the floor in pain on Sunday, but last night, it looked as if he had never had a back injury at all. Suspicious....I think so.

Becky said...

Joe, These blogs are getting better with time. Better luck next year with the Jazz

Johnny 5 said...

The last was from John not Becky

boneck family said...

i like the posts too. i read them and have soemthing to talk to the guys at work about. (im not versed in sports)