Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day and Sports

Ahhhhhhhh. Valentine's Day. The day for lovers... couples... people who have someone to spend money on. It's always a silly holiday for t
hose of us who are ridiculously single. We are always looking at our friends with girlfriends and get a little jealous.

The past few Valentine's haven't been that great for me... in fact, a little trainwrecked...

This year: Surprisingly good. Laid low. It's was my niece's 13th birthday so I went out to dinner with their family.

Last year: After a hard day of
delivering flowers, I took the girl I was in love with to my church basketball game and she ended up interested in the star player from my own team!!!
2006: Dumped by my girlfriend that night after cooking her dinner and buying her a bracelet. All she could do was complain the bracelet was too big (like she was saying I thought she was fat.... How is a guys supposed to know wrist size???)... I still think she ended up hooking up with one of her roommates' guy friends who crashed our "candlelight" dinner.

2005: Gave a rose to the girl I ended up falling for after Thanksgiving... I ended up asking her out a few weeks earlier... Needless to say, I never got a second date... but knowing me, I still ended up liking the girl for six more months. Geez, I'm pathetic!
2004: Living in Baltimore at the time... unemployed and getting ready to come back West... I don't even think girls knew I was alive...

2003: I had two tickets to see the Jazz play the Wizards. Sports note: This was Michael Jordan's final season. The last chance to see him in person. I went. I had asked some Brazilian chick to the game and she said no 'cause she wanted to spend time with her mom... wow, dissed by a Brazilian! Anyway, I went to the game with my buddy John... they were passing out carnations to people, I went to get one as a joke and the usher denied my request... the geriatric probably thought I was a homo... CAN IT GET ANY WORSE...

I can't remember more damage before that... Oh wait...

2002: Salt Lake City Olympics were in town, I was in like with a girl... she was a ho, we all knew that... I think I gave her a flower or something. We had recently gone on a date to see "Crossroads" because she had the same name as the main actress (who has had a bigger drop in her career than Shawn Kemp) .

2001: My first love had dumped me right before Christmas... I think by this time she was engaged to someone else...

You know what... screw Valentine's Day. It's just a big waste of money on flowers, chocolate's and a time for dudes in relationships for a little guaranteed action, if they follow the trend... when I'm married (some year) my goal will be to get AWESOME ACTION the day before and after just to prove a point...

But there are two awesome, awesome things the sports worlds provides losers who like sports but don't have girls to make up for this faux-holiday: The SI Swimsuit edition, and the dunk contest. Both have lost a lot of flair since the 90s but hey, maybe I can think of a way to combine them into one amazing event to really liven things up... ahem...
I propose a dunk contest by hot athletic chicks in bikinis in a shallow pool with a backboard. I know there are sponsors out there. This is America! The great nation that brought us "The Man Show." (and "Beavis and Butthead"... huh huh...yeah)

6 comments:

Johnny 5 said...

Joe, I remember our Valentine's date in 2003. I have to say I remember some pretty crappy ones myself. You are definitely due some good Karma, your year is coming up.

Maria said...

Joe - I think your resolution of the pre and post valentines when you are married is hilarious. By the way, Jon enjoyed searching for the swimsuit edition pictures a little too much..whatever

Maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brookalicious said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

boo who get a clue. refering to valentines 2006 she's obiously not into you, so don't call her a ho just because she doesn't drule over the hairest man in Utah.

Skyline Limousine said...

Valentines week limousine special. Want to impress that special someone this Valentines week. There is no better way than to show up in a Limousine by Skyline. Our vehicles add that extra touch to a great evening. Call today to schedule your Skyline limousine.

We provide complimentary bottled water and ice cold beverages.

FREE Red Rose.... included in all reservations

Let Skyline Limousine make your
Valentine's Evening a Special night
and one you will always remember!

Special Packages starting at * $255.00

Reservations: 866-777-1211
http://www.skyline-limo.com