Sunday, October 7, 2007

Rejuvination Weekend

(Editor's note: The editor for Average Joe's Sports Blog was in Hawaii this past week. So when we say "this past weekend," I guess it was two weekends ago. And I know what you're thinking. "This blog has an editor?" Yeah, well it does. Long story. We'll talk about it sometime.)

This past weekend could very well be labeled Upset Weekend in the land of football.

In college football, defending champion Florida as well as Oklahoma, West Virginia Texas, Rutgers, and Clemson all lost. Some of the losses came at home, and many of them came against unranked opponents.

In pro football, the Packers and Cowboys are now 4-0, while the Chargers and Bears are 1-3, and could be joined by the Bengals after Monday Night Football. Several upsets included the Falcons over the Texans, the Browns over my homeboy Ravens, the Chiefs over the Chargers, and the Cardinals over the undefeated Steelers.

But in wake of it all, instead of calling it Upset Weekend, why not call it Rejuvination Weekend?

Think about it. Do you really want to see Florida win it all again? Not me. Do you wanna see Oklahoma in the title game when they can't take care of woeful Colorado on the road? Not me. Do you wanna see Texas win their second title in three years? Not me. Do you really wanna see the Bears win the Superbowl and do another Superbowl Shuffle re-make from 1985 with Jim McMahon making a cameo? Not me.

So now, there are some fresh faces in college football. Sure, I'd love to see South Florida and Cal go undefeated and play in the national championship game. Why not? In the NFL, is it fun to see Cleveland and Oakland battling it out for the wildcard? Why not? I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers play in another Superbowl so Favre can finally retire in peace. Why not?

Speaking of rejuvination weekend and fresh faces, my new roommates and I threw a killer party on Saturday. Let me tell you, it's been way too long since I've thrown a good party. It's probably been about a year since our last good one.

It was funny, because at 9 o'clock, we had nobody there and a few dudes showed up and they seemed to be a little scared. By 10 o'clock, only a small handful had shown up. Heck, even I was starting to doubt... Had it been too long since I've tried to do something cool? Was I that far out of the loop?

But just as my doubts were starting to increase of my irrelevancy, the party started to boom. From 10:15 on, people started showing up by the car loads. We easily had over 150 people in and out of the house throughout the night. The music was pumpin' out the speakers, the floor was shaking and the drinks flowed like wine (non-alcholic wine that is).

It was an eclectic mix of fresh faces, too! It was the same old party-goers that you see at all the typical parties. The tone was set with the loud music, so people just weren't standing around talking. The ones that wanted to do that went out on the deck in the musk September air. We had Nintendo Wii going on in the basement.

Broken acquaintence-ships were re-acquianted, and the single lady to sweet-bro ratio were fairly even, which is rare for a party in SLC these days. All-in-all, it felt good to feel somewhat socially relevant again... it was, well to re-emphazise my point, re-juvinating. It makes me want to throw another party like it next week, but in the unwritten rules of party throwing, you have to wait at least a three to four months inbetween great parties.

So thank you, all of you that attended. I hope you had fun. And for all of you that didn't: hope to see ya there next time.

No comments: